Yesterday, I met up with Anam and we road off to meet up with some more of the students who study English at Muhammadiyah University. They picked up Lolly and two of her ETA (fulbright English Teaching Assistant) compatriots -- Tom (from Cincinnati/Earlham College) and Sarah (from Vermont/Colgate University). It was fun to see Anam and Idham again, since they have a good sense of humor, and we went to a restaurant that only serves mushrooms. They have mushroom soup, mushroom satay, mushroom pepes, and a bunch of other options. It was pretty awesome, and along with the delicious food, we were allowed to wander around and look at how they grow all of the mushrooms. Paired with the Mushroom fest in Kennett Square, PA, this has been quite a year for learning about (and eating) mushrooms.
Lolly, Sarah, Tom and I hung out afterwards, watching an episode of the Sarah Silverman show and grabbing drinks from the Circle K. We met up with some Australians at a futsol (soccer played indoors on turf, and it definitely isn't the same as indoor soccer) place. I don't know what I was thinking. They said that it would be casual and relaxed, but the pace of the game quickened, and as soon as I had the chance, about halfway through, I jumped out. Unless we played soccer in gym class in high school (which I don't remember), the last time I played soccer was in middle school. Yikes.
Exhausted and sweaty, I went home early to clean up and start packing. Tom lent me a dvd, so I watched Adventureland and went to bed.
This morning, I went through my things, packed, and when Bram showed up with five other guys together on four motorbikes, we balanced my luggage between the people and drove off to my boarding house.
Things are settling organically in my room, which is actually pretty large -- the picture above only shows half, without the bathroom included. After moving things around, and hanging out, chatting with a few of the guys -- Novun, Yoga, and some others -- Nana showed up with her parents, and Bram and I went out to eat with them. It is a funny experience tagging on with a family, and although they are really nice, it reminds me why I no longer have the desire to do the homestay thing.
Now, I just have to wait for the next rainstorm and see how the roof and ceiling hold up!
No comments:
Post a Comment